Saturday, February 12, 2011

Listen more, laugh more

While I was running today, I enjoyed several things -- it wasn't raining (or hailing), I wasn't freezing my tail off, and I saw the season's first daffodils (although a pig was eating them). I had almost taken my ipod with me, but I am glad that I didn't; I would have missed some nice sounds -- the birds were singing today, two buffalo in the road had bells around their necks that harmonized nicely, and some of my sweet little students called, "Hello," to me from their houses. And I would have missed one of the things that made me laugh today.

 As I was just about to turn around and head back to the house, I heard some funny splashing in the giant puddle on the side of the road. I looked over to see four ducks in the puddle, but it took me a second to recognize that they were ducks -- all I saw were four pointy duck-tails bobbing up and down in perfect time, moving side to side as if they were synchronized swimmers. They looked so funny -- all four of them upside-down in the water at the same time moving together as if they had practiced their choreography for months.

Later on I was in the bathroom washing some clothes. I had put some of the powdered detergent in the plastic tub with a little warm water and was swishing it around to dissolve the soap. Suddenly I heard Leban (who is in seventh grade) singing in the living room while playing Grand Theft Auto: Vice City on the computer. I listened carefully to hear him crooning away in the best Harry Connick, Jr. impression........the "ABC Song!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment